Maintaining your dental braces is an integral part of the full orthodontic treatment. The more conscientious you are of taking care of your braces, the more comfortable and effective they will be as you wear them. Your thoroughness in maintaining your orthodontic appliance will help speed up the treatment duration as well.
Since you will get more from your orthodontic treatment when you take care of your braces properly, you have to be prepared to spend a lot of time and effort in maintaining them. You need to follow your dentist’s instructions regarding the right diet to have. You have to continue practicing good oral hygiene habits, too.
Additionally, you have to be meticulous in cleaning and maintaining them, especially when you are at home.
Wearing Braces on Your Vacation
When you have braces, going on a holiday does not mean your oral hygiene and maintenance practices will take a break as well. Regardless of where you are during your travels, you need to continue taking care of your orthodontic appliance.
Below are five tips that will help you maintain your braces while you are on vacation:
Prepare a braces travel kit.
To ensure you will still maintain your braces properly while on holiday, prepare a kit that will contain all the items you need to do this.
The most important items you should pack in this kit are:
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Dental floss
- Floss threaders
- Dental or orthodontic wax
- Spare elastics
- Cotton buds or Q-tips
- Nail clippers
- Pain medication
Maintain a brace-friendly diet.
Although a vacation is an excellent excuse to eat whatever you want, unfortunately, when you have braces, this is not a valid reason.
As such, your diet should still be largely made up of soft, easy-to-eat foods. You also need to avoid the usual culprits that will give you a lot of problems when eating and when cleaning your braces.
These foods include:
- Gummy, chewy, and sticky candies
- Corn on the cob
- Hard cookies or biscuits
- Hard pastries such as bagels and pizza crusts
By sticking to a braces-friendly diet, you will spend less time cleaning your braces. You will then be able to enjoy your vacation better.
Maintain your oral hygiene routine.
Your oral care routine should not go on vacation while you are. You therefore need to continue practicing good oral hygiene habits throughout your vacation.
Aim to brush at least twice a day or 30 minutes after eating, if possible. If you are currently unable to brush your teeth, rinse out your mouth with water or mouthwash instead.
Additionally, floss once a day, preferably at night. Lastly, always drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and keep your mouth healthy.
Be prepared for possible orthodontic emergencies.
Knowing the quick remedies for the usual braces-related problems will help you deal with any emergencies even if you can’t see your dentist or orthodontist immediately.
Some of the orthodontic issues you may encounter while on vacation are:
- Mouth irritation – If you have only started wearing braces, the appliance may still irritate your lips and cheeks. To relieve any inflammation, cover the brackets or wires that are bothering you with dental wax. You can also soothe your mouth by gargling with a saltwater rinse.
- Prodding wire – Use cotton buds or Q-tips to push a poking wire back in its correct position. In case this does not work and the wire is still sticking out, dry it off with a tissue and place a small piece of dental wax over it to stop the poking. If the wire is too long, use the nail clippers to shorten it. However, make sure you sterilize the clippers first before using it.
- Loose bracket – In case you have an unfastened or broken bracket in the front or middle of your mouth, dry the area off with a tissue. Next, cover the bracket with a small ball of dental wax so that this won’t irritate you.
See your dentist.
Lastly, before going on vacation, see your dentist or orthodontist first, especially if you are due for a checkup or adjustment. By doing so, your specialist can identify any possible issues that may come up and provide the necessary fix immediately.
Also, by visiting your specialist, you can get the dental supplies you need for your trip. You can get additional advice on how to better take care of your braces on your holiday as well.
A leading cosmetic dentist says that orthodontic braces are the most effective treatment for having a healthier, more beautiful smile. To ensure you achieve this goal, continue following your dental specialist’s recommendations and treatment plan even if you go on vacation.