A gleaming Hollywood smile is something that many of us would like and for obvious reasons. Not only does a set of perfect white teeth make us look good and healthy, it can also promote confidence and self-esteem. It is important to have a full dental checkup before undergoing any tooth whitening treatment and by visiting a dental practice that not only specialises in cosmetic dentistry but also is highly qualified in other fields of dentistry, you can alleviate any potential side effects.
For whiter smile, sometimes mere brushing of your teeth is not enough. To rid your teeth of discolouration and stains, a tooth whitening treatment should do the job well. It is among the popular cosmetic dental procedures, and all you have to do is find a reputable dental clinic and book an appointment.
If you are lucky enough to live in or around Sydney NSW, you will be spoilt for choice when it comes to high quality dental work. Teeth whitening in Sydney is becoming very popular, mainly due to the ease of the process and rapidly reducing costs. Before you actually undergo the teeth whitening process, your dentist will need to check for any conditions that may affect the required end result, these include but are not limited to:
- Crooked Teeth – This is a common condition that affects many people, and depending on how crooked your teeth are, your dentist may recommend a consultation with an orthodontist. Although not detrimental to the health of your teeth, the results of the tooth whitening may not be as expected.
- Oral Health – If you suffer from gum problems, your dentist may advise against tooth whitening.
- Sensitive Teeth – As above, if you suffer from sensitive teeth or have worn enamel, your dentist may advise against any tooth whitening treatment until any underlying problems are rectified.
The above list is by no means exhaustive but illustrates the importance of visiting a fully qualified dentist before using any over-the-counter tooth whitening kits. You should also be aware of the many unlicensed and unregulated cosmetic dentistry centres whilst overseas.
Tooth whitening in South East Asia, where many Australians spend their vacations, is implausibly cheap and they may not have the necessary accreditation or experience to provide patients with healthy and safe tooth whitening treatments.
Will I Get A Bright White Smile After Undergoing A Tooth Whitening Procedure?
One thing is certain, you will see some difference in your teeth after treatment, but the ultimate ‘whiteness’ achieved is dependent on a number of factors, including but not limited to:
- The Original Colour Of Your Teeth – Some of us are born with whiter teeth than others and this may ultimately affect the level of ‘whiteness’ at the end of the treatment.
- Lifestyle – If you smoke, drink red wine or coffee or teeth regularly, this will affect the longevity of the whitening treatment. In short, you will need to undergo further whitening treatments at more regular intervals than a person who doesn’t partake in any of the aforementioned.
- Level Of Treatment – Over-the-counter treatments, although cheaper are rarely as effective or last as long as the tooth whitening treatments carried out by a professional.
If you think tooth whitening is something that you would benefit from, my advice is to visit a fully qualified dentist who specialises in cosmetic procedures. If carried out professionally, your smile will be brighter and your confidence will soar.